Hubler Financial Services is here to help our fellow Hoosiers find insurance coverage for their motorcycle. Whether you live in Indianapolis, Bloomington, or Muncie, Indiana, if you love hitting the road on your bike, we have you covered! Indiana does require motorcycle drivers to carry insurance, similar to automotive insurance. Learn more below about what motorcycle insurance you need in Indiana and why you need it.
Do I need Motorcycle insurance in Indiana?
In Indiana, motorcycle insurance is mandatory. The state requires all motorcyclists to carry liability insurance with minimum coverage limits. The minimum liability coverage requirements for motorcycle insurance in Indiana are:
- $25,000 for bodily injury or death to one person in an accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury or death to two or more people in an accident
- $10,000 for property damage in an accident
These liability coverage limits are the minimum required by law, and many motorcycle riders choose to carry higher coverage limits to protect themselves in case of an accident. In addition to liability insurance, motorcyclists in Indiana can also purchase additional coverage options such as collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and medical payments coverage.
It’s important to note that failure to carry motorcycle insurance in Indiana can result in fines, license suspension, and other penalties. So, it’s important for motorcyclists in Indiana to make sure they have the required insurance coverage before hitting the road.
Why Do I Need Motorcycle Insurance?
People in Indiana need motorcycle insurance for several reasons, including legal requirements, financial protection, and peace of mind. Indiana state law requires all motorcyclists to carry liability insurance with minimum coverage limits. Here are some specific examples of times that motorcycle insurance can come in handy with Indiana’s poor weather conditions and bad roads:
- Accidents on wet or icy roads: Indiana is known for its unpredictable weather, and riding a motorcycle on wet or icy roads can be extremely dangerous. Motorcycle insurance can provide coverage for damages or injuries sustained in an accident caused by poor road conditions.
- Damage from falling debris: Indiana’s roads are prone to potholes, loose gravel, and other hazards that can cause debris to fall onto the road. Motorcycle insurance can provide coverage for damages or injuries sustained from falling debris.
- Collisions with other vehicles: Even the safest motorcyclists can be involved in accidents caused by other drivers. Motorcycle insurance can provide coverage for damages or injuries sustained in a collision with another vehicle.
- Stolen motorcycles: Motorcycle theft is a common problem in Indiana, especially in urban areas. Motorcycle insurance can provide coverage for theft or damage caused by attempted theft.
- Liability for injuries or property damage: If you are found responsible for causing injury to another person or damage to their property while riding your motorcycle, liability insurance can provide coverage for the resulting costs, including medical expenses, lost wages, and legal fees.
Overall, motorcycle insurance is a necessary investment for anyone who owns or operates a motorcycle in Indiana. With unpredictable weather conditions and hazardous roads, having the right insurance coverage can provide peace of mind knowing that you are protected in case of an accident or other unexpected event.
Please note, that while ever effort is made to provide accurate information, requirements may change. Call us for more information on motorcycle insurance requirements in your area.